Deepti Ahuja, senior partner and vice president – global sales, business advisory, indirect tax and transfer pricing at SKP Business Consulting (Nexia), was nominated for the 2017 TA & IAB personality of the year award
- Senior Partner and Vice President – Global Sales, Business Advisory, Indirect Tax and Transfer Pricing
- SKP’s first woman Partner
- Grew the Business Advisory practise from scratch
- Worked on projects over USD 1 billion
- An inspiration to the all SKPians
Leading by example
It’s not common to hear senior management say, “This is my first job!” But it’s a claim that Deepti Ahuja makes with pride. While her job role may have changed since she joined as a fresher soon after earning her CA degree in 2001, her attitude to work certainly hasn’t. It has taken her right to the top, where she currently holds the post of Senior Partner and Vice President – Global Sales, Business Advisory, Indirect Tax and Transfer Pricing.
Her journey is an inspiration to all SKPians. After clearing her Chartered Accountancy exams, in the first attempt, Deepti joined SKP at an entry level position. Her ability to learn on the go and handle the diverse projects assigned to her, with minimal supervision, won the attention of the partner to whom she reported.
SKP, a strong accounting and tax firm at the time, had begun to focus on consulting. Recognising Deepti’s willingness and ability to handle new tasks, the Chairman and Founder Sudit K Parekh, in their very first interaction, invited her to come to Mumbai to become a Partner.
Once in Mumbai, Deepti worked in each of the practices. She brought in the advisory angle and extended our services to include business consulting, growing it from 0 to 60 people within a short span. Deepti, today, is not just the head of our Global Sales and Business Advisory teams; she also has the distinction of being SKP’s first woman partner.
Deepti works at a global level and is responsible for strategic relationship building with SKP’s clients. She puts her 16 years of experience to work handling advisory assignments across industry segments, including banking, textiles, healthcare, manufacturing, services, and non-profit entities. She has successfully worked on projects worth over USD 1 billion.
Some of the complex projects she has led are:
1. Establishment of a greenfield manufacturing unit in record time, for a US headquartered medical devices company
2. Set up of policy and processes for a start-up Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC)
3. Devised creative solutions integrating tax, regulatory, accounting and business aspects for a large and complex social impact business, which operates through a public private partnership model in more than 1000 villages in India
4. Led the strategy of an M&A implementation for a Japanese listed company that had acquired another listed entity
5. Led the investigation into the affairs of a leading American bank, on behalf of the tax office
6. Helped several multinationals establish their presence in India.
Thanks to her lead, Business Advisory has become one of our most profitable and consistently growing verticals. From handling Indian projects, the practice has evolved to managing global projects in multiple countries.
Principles of growth
Despite her many accomplishments, Deepti modestly attributes her success to the teachings of SKP’s senior members. For instance, the Founder and now Chairman Emeritus Mr Sudit K Parekh’s insistence on adopting a holistic perspective, which includes obtaining feedback from all relevant people inside and outside the company, in the paramount interest of the client, remains one of Deepti’s guiding principles.
Deepti has inculcated these teachings along with the values of hard work, trust and dedication throughout the firm. Her belief that thoughts, words and deeds must always be aligned is among the very precepts that have built SKP into an organisation trusted by all stakeholders—internal and external.